Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bloomberg

Because of all the news about this recently, I figured I would comment on it.  This NY Times article explains the drink ban Bloomberg has enacted, or he tried to enact.  The day before the enactment, a New York supreme court justice decided it was unconstitutional.  This ban was Bloomberg's attempt to create a healthier lifestyle for New Yorkers.  This quote from the article "New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something,” he said. “I think that’s what the public wants the mayor to do.”  In New York they want action against this national problem and Bloomberg offered one.  This may not be as effective as the mayor hopes, but it is a step toward a healthier community.  On the other hand, what right does the mayor have to decide who gets to drink and eat what.  

3 comments:

  1. My dad owns a restaurant in NYC and this affects him. The mayor wanted to make it so that restaurants can't sell pitchers of soda. My opinion is that this is SO stupid. First of all, no ONE person drinks a whole pitcher of soda- it's just for convenience. Second of all, someone can just order like six sodas and it'd be lawful. So basically, his attempts are pointless. If someone wants to be irresponsible with their health, that's their fault.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see Bloomberg's point though. If people can't buy a really large drink then they're a lot less likely to pay money for two drinks to match the size of their large one. I don't see how it can be unconstitutional because it's just putting a limit on the size of a drink, not removing the drink from the public itself. I think that this was a good move on the part of the mayor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was a good idea by the mayor but i think it had some flaws within it. I think banning the jumbo drinks is smart but not allowing restaurants to do pitchers of soda is stupid because its alot easier for serves and customs of the restaurants. I think all in all he is trying to do the right thing by trying to cut down the sugar intake and make NYC healthier

    ReplyDelete